29 April 2008

Juno: some thoughts

Well, we watched it Sunday night...

I didn't like it at all. I had to talk it through with Roy before I could go to sleep, it was so...disquieting.

Bear in mind I'm pregnant and that I've lost a baby.

At the end I was so sad, I cried and cried (but quietly, so I wouldn't freak out the people who were watching it with us, in case they liked it). But it wasn't a beautiful-sad. It was a straight-up this-sucks sad. Nobody changed. Nobody grew (except for Juno's baby). A junior in highschool got a boy-friend. Whohoo. Everyone did exactly what they wanted. It's like the end of Judges...everyone did what was right in their own eyes. The man left his wife, the wife got her baby, Juno got her boyfriend and no consequences. Nobody wasn't selfish. Even the Juno character's carrying her child to term had less consequences--her family supported her, her medical expenses were paid, and she got to be even more different than the losers in high school who go to prom.

And the callousness towards the baby...of course, I'm sure it was calculated, to some extent, but...it hurt.

And of course there were some good moments--my favorite two: 1) when the stepmom chewed out the ultrasound technician. 2) when that boy said "I try really hard." And Ellen Page is REALLY pretty.

And it had fun clothes and was all indie and cute like that...and the music is the kind I usually like, but it just made my heart hurt.

And who the hell really says "wizard" all the time? I did get tired of teen-age language, I'm not gonna lie.

I'm not sure what Roy thinks exactly, though I know we had similar feelings. Maybe he'll add some to this.

It's weird, because so many of my friends really liked this movie, but it just really...hurt and didn't heal.

No comments: