03 April 2008

I never thought I would reach the point...


...that I would admit this, but I am getting old. I have had this fear of getting old, ever since I was about 18, particularly that my body would wear down and get old, and then the younger generation would run circles around me on the basketball court. Or I would just be the old veteran sidekick of some young superstar (in pickup basketball games of course). Well I'm starting to have to play like a veteran now, and it's scary because I remember the days when I did not get tired--the days when I could carry my team to victory on the court. That's not happening anymore....maybe it's the added weight (I weigh 200 lbs now!) or the slowed metabolism...or seminary...or just a poor work ethic in general...but I've definitely lost a step.
So one of the things I have proposed, in light of having a kiddo soon, is to dominate on the basketball court while there is time. I'm looking forward to posting my 8 year old son up in the paint, and then dunking on him ferociously (as the goal will probably be at 8 feet high). I look forward to blocking his shots into oncoming traffic and doing my best Mutombo impersonation. A demonstration of my game can be seen here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7iVrFc7OlXs
But I figure it will only be a matter of time until he has his day, and the clearest picture of what it will look like for him to dominate me is that of Ray Allen as he schooled Denzel in Spike Lee's "He Got Game."
This is of course if we have a boy.
Peace,
Roy

4 comments:

Kel said...

Roy, i am threatened my your manliness. Please tone it down a bit so the rest of us can attempt to impress our wives.

Kel said...

and, who won that block of cheese?

emily jane said...

i guess you did! you'll have to come by our house and get it.

Roy L said...

Although Kelly, you may not want the cheese now because our power has been off for a while since the storm....