14 July 2010

Man, I've been blogging a lot lately...

I think that means I should be loading my dishwasher.

Anyway, I just came across a new-to-me author (she died in 1974), and
I'm really excited about it. Funnily enough, I found her through the
ibooks application on my new iphone (I promise we're not consumerists,
I promise!)...I was trying to find cheap and not-too-dirty romance
stories to read (yes, it's true...I like books like that. I'm a sucker
for happy endings), and amid all the descriptions of beautiful people
at cross purposes with burning passions (and men without shirts on the
cover), I found these books that had all recently been reprinted, and
also issued in digital editions...and they didn't sound like they'd be
scandalous! Hurray! So, even though I ended up paying $9.99 for what
is really a bunch of ones and zeros, I really enjoyed the book I ended
up purchasing: The Convenient Marriage, by Georgette Heyer. Roy would
really prefer that we get tangible books, and ultimately, I would too,
but it's hard to resist just pushing a button and having several hours
of enjoyment, even though I know that digital editions are such a
headache in the publishing world. Anyway, the book was sweet with
clever dialogue, and I'm planning on going to the library today,
getting my library card, and checking out some paper copies of other
of Georgette Heyer's books. According to wikipedia, she originated the
"Regency Romance" genre. So, yeah. These books don't make me confront
a lot of stuff, but you know, really, let's be honest: all the issues
that I appreciate being raised in literature are basically right here
with me in real life. It is probably more accurate to say that I
appreciate consciousness-raising literature, rather than enjoying it,
in most cases.

I have to get Iris more juice.

1 comment:

Paula said...

I really enjoy Victoria Holt novels. They are Jane Eyre ish and full of prim young girls and brooding men and mysterious houses and even some oubliets and madmen! I have only read one that bordered on sketchy. Sometimes I just want to enjoy a good story.