21 August 2010

iris is just like us.

and the older she gets, the more we can tell. It's so encouraging for
me, especially, since it appears that most of my physical traits got
beaten by Roy's genes, to know that she has other traits, like
expressions, or weird preferences that I can say, "you got that from
me! sorry."

for instance, she is just like me in that when she's in the bath and
gets a hair on her hand, she cries until i take it off for her. you
might not know that about me, but I HATE disembodied hairs. it's one
of the grossest things ever. She is apparently just as disturbed by
them as I am.

and she is like roy in the way she keeps moving the stool that i like
to sit on while i cook (or wait for things to cook) back to the table
where it goes.

We think she is on the cusp of being ready to potty train. anybody
have any suggestions about best methods? she's still really young, but
she knows the ideas of peepee and poop and the potty, and doesn't like
being in wet diapers. additionally, it would be FANTASTIC to have only
one kid in diapers at a time.

also I have come to the realization that all the paper, journals,
sketchbooks, etc., that I have saved thinking I might one day develop
a creative genius were REALLY saved so that Iris could scribble on
them. It's so nice to know that they won't be wasted. We got her some
chunky crayons, and it's really amazing how her skills are developing.
She mostly colors on paper that we give her, but sometimes she gets on
the floor, too. And we write her name, for her, too: "EYE - ARE - EYE
- ESS, Iris!" when I say the "Iris" part, I alway make a line under
the word. I'm wondering if that will make her think her name always
has a line underneath it, but I guess that's what school is for, to
fix things like that.

Baby Jonas is due in eleven weeks and one day. We still have a lot to
do to get ready for him, but I think we'll be fine. If anyone has any
baby boy clothes they want to pass on to us, we'll take them. Also I
have been wondering about how to make the transition easier for Iris.
I really don't want to have to tell her that when she was little she
tried to hurt him or anything like that. She seems to be okay with
babies, but she also likes to play with their toys. And she is not
good at all with sharing with older kids. And Jonas will have to take
over a lot of things that she's thought of as hers, like her baby
swing and bouncy seat...I'm a little concerned. The whole big girl
concept doesn't seem to have too much weight with her yet. So, did you
do something to prepare your first child for the second? Iris will be
25 months when Jonas comes. My favorite plan is to get a pet that she
can spend time on/with and be distracted by, but then it seems silly
to add that to a household already going through upheaval. Am I making
too big a deal of this?

Also, soon the RUF at AAMU website will be live. We'll put the address
here as soon as it's up. I am kinda wary of publicly bragging on Roy,
because I just don't think he appreciates it like other people might,
but it's really great to see him get to be a minister of the gospel.
And the website looks great, too. But ask in me in person about him
and I can tell you how wonderful he is. Also, if you want to support
us, this might be the easiest way: www.ruf.org/donate/ or if you just
want to get a support letter and haven't, leave a comment. I think we
could send out emails with a pdf, even though I personally like
sending out paper copies. Our next support letter comes out in
September, but we can send you our summer one first. I'm really
excited about the start of our ministry here, even though I doubt I'll
be doing that much for it, besides taking care of Roy and opening our
home to students--not that I don't think that is important, because I
do, I just feel really PREGNANT.

Also, extra points go to the person who can guess why I love the name
Jonas. I'm thinking that Paula La and Caroline Kimbrough might have
the best chance at this.

Come see us in Huntsville. We have lots of room for guests, and it's
lots easier for me for people to come to my house instead of the other
way. Baby Jonas and I do not travel well.

4 comments:

Pilgrim Days said...

Iris will do great. We always do lots of talking about how we just love babies and how wonderful they are. We really talk up the big sister thing(esp how it is her little brother and she gets to be the big sister) and get the next oldest to be a helper. They love fetching diapers and blankets. e have never had much jealousy issues. Toddlers generally love babies.
And she isn't too young to potty train. I am all for training them before they figure out they can hold it for a long time and refuse. My girls trained at 19 months, 20 months, and one girl started around then but took a long time because of issues. My boys were a bit later. Creed started at 23 months and has done great though he does still have accidents but for me it is way better than fulltime diapers. I am also big on not missing a window of opportunity. If you think she is ready then go for it and don't look back while you have the energy still. Y'all will do great!!!!! And I love the name Jonas.

Caroline said...

I know! Is it this Jonas that inspires you? :)

Sara P said...

:) I got on here to see if Caroline or Paula had beat me to it!! Well, maybe this Jonas will be a preacher in the slums too:)

Paula said...

haha! I was stumped at first because I had the name Jonas Hornbostle in my head which I now feel sure came solely from my head and was put into a project of some sort. So, Caroline beat me, but then she always does! I do love that name and the inspiration!

Aubrey and Owen are 26 mos apart. Johnny and Aubrey are 21. Honestly, Johnny hardly noticed she had arrived. He was too busy with other things and it wasn't until she was a few months old and became a play mate that he noticed her (and loves her!).

Aubrey was very interested in Owen, but not particularly upset. I think the key is to talk about the baby coming--make it something to look forward to. Talk about babies and emphasize that she is going to be a big sister/a big girl. You are going to need her help when Jonas comes, etc . . . But she still is a baby and will need cuddles and attention when he's here. Fill up her love bucket! And when he comes don't push her either way: if Iris is interested, let he hold Jonas or throw diapers away (big help!). If she isn't, let it be.

All sorts of things are happening around me and I've rambled terribly. Will pray it works out well!